Do off grid ham radio data modes require the internet?
A viewer wanted to know if JS8Call, Winlink, or VaraAC needed the internet for any point of the messages transit to its recipient. As always, I was happy to explain.
Some ham radio data modes use the internet for some parts of a message’s journey. This is ok when the internet is functioning, but can also be a critical failure point, in a grid down emergency communications scenario. I go through the most common ham radio data modes on the channel, to give you the scoop on which ones are truly off-grid!
Share video URL: https://youtu.be/ILWY0j5UKvg
Support the channel by shopping on ebay, at Battery Hookups or GigaParts.
For GigaParts and Battery Hookup, use my callsign for a small discount.
Alternatively, drop a little something in the TipJar. It really makes a difference.
- Buy me a rootbeer https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/oh8stn
- GigaParts: https://oh8stn.net/GigaParts
- Shop at Battery Hookup: https://oh8stn.net/batteryhookup
- Shop at eBay (affiliate link) : https://oh8stn.net/ebay
- Buy an N9SAB Antenna https://ebay.us/OVVZcG (eBay affiliate link)