In this video, we charge the Power Queen 12.8v LiFePO4 batteries powering the off-grid ham shack using a vertical axis wind generator. Also covered are the various methods of charging our solar battery storage, when there is no solar power.
If you’re interested in building your own off-grid ham shack, consider starting here: Building your off-grid ham shack blog: https://oh8stn.org/blog/2023/12/21/building-an-off-grid-solar-powered-ham-shack/
On Monday 22 January 2024, we had a sudden rise in temperatures at KP25QC. With the higher temps came gusts of wind averaging 10m/s – 22mph. Not really a massive wind storm, but strong enough to test how effective the wind generator is when connected to a Genasun GV Boost charge controller for 4S LiFePO4 batteries.
This post just ties everything together. The Wind Generator, the Genasun charge controller, the Power Queen batteries, and our ability or inability to charge our solar storage with the wind.
Take battery storage seriously
The most important aspect of the off-grid ham shack is its battery storage. The more watt-hours of battery storage one has, the longer one can “wait-out” the grid being down.
- Building your off-grid ham shack blog: https://oh8stn.org/blog/2023/12/21/building-an-off-grid-solar-powered-ham-shack/
- Power Queen 20A RF Quiet LiFePO4 charger: This one is from Power Queen Germany. I have not tested the ones fro, other Power Queen regions, so they are not listed here. This one is the only one I can say is RF quiet.
- More about Power Queen: https://oh8stn.org/power-queen-lifepo4/
Power Queen LiFePO4
Power Queen offers a range of LiFePO4 batteries for off-grid use. These batteries are available throughout the European Union, the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. In fact, you can get a 5% discount using JULIANOH8STN while shopping on their various websites.
Use discount code JULIANOH8STN
- United States https://ipowerqueen.com/?ref=0q1c0pan
- Europe https://www.ipowerqueen.de/?ref=732d60hj
- Canada https://ca.ipowerqueen.com/?ref=y0igztbu
- United Kingdom https://uk.ipowerqueen.com/?ref=k0j3c653
Power Queen made the “Building an off-grid ham shack” project possible. Please show some love.
Food for thought
When a storm hits and the grid goes down, getting power back becomes a high priority. High winds, lightning, ice, or heavy snow can all contribute to power loss. The loss of grid electricity nay become more than the annoyance of not being able to turn on a light, radio or television. Often, the loss of grid power has serious repercussions affecting heating, refrigeration, hot water, storage of medicines, and the ability to charge critical communication gear.
As we begin understanding the causes of power loss, we must make efforts to understand what steps to take to keep our secondary power systems running. Both are necessary when preparing for potential outages, and responding effectively when they occur.
Support the channel by shopping on ebay, at Battery Hookups or GigaParts.
For GigaParts and Battery Hookup, use my callsign for a small discount.
Alternatively, drop a little something in the TipJar. It really makes a difference.
- Buy me a rootbeer https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/oh8stn
- GigaParts: https://oh8stn.net/GigaParts
- Shop at Battery Hookup: https://oh8stn.net/batteryhookup
- Shop at eBay (affiliate link) : https://oh8stn.net/ebay
- Buy an N9SAB Antenna https://ebay.us/OVVZcG (eBay affiliate link)