In today’s episode of OH8STN Ham Radio, we are talking about generating power with a vertical axis wind turbine. The goal is a hybrid system using both wind and solar to power an off-grid Winlink RMS Gateway from my home station. The Vertical Axis Wind Turbine or micro wind generator is part of the Winlink RMS Gateway project you may have read about on https://oh8stn.org.
The VAWT project will be combined with the solar panels already up on the tower, and the 576wh LiFePO4 battery storage system we built on the channel last year.
Combining the Wind Turbine, solar panels and Lithium battery storage help create a hybrid Wind/Solar off grid power system, which should easily keep the Winlink Gateway powered up.
There are still things to do.
- Find a LiFePO4 compatible Wind charge controller with dump load.
- Find the sweet spot on the tower for best balance between strain on the tower and performance of the wind turbine.
- Add second set of aluminum hard points and guy loops to the tower just above the turbine.
- Measure torque placed on the tower in heavy winds.
- Find RF Quiet DC LED light strips for the operating space.