It’s that time of year again where we’ll get outside and practise amateur radio in the field. The difference now is, we will be doing it via the Winter Field Day 2018 event.
Winter Field Day 2018 allows us to practise our communications preparedness by deploying in what is easily the worst time of year for many operators around the world. We test ourselves, our gear,
our communications effectiveness, and our ability to thrive in conditions which probably seem insane for most operators. I’ll be participating in the event by deploying the Solar Powered Field Station. I plan to work the Digital mode Contestia, and SSB contacts of opportunity for my Winter Field Day logbook.
My Operating conditions
- Yaesu FT-817ND
- 10w QRPVer amplifier
- Endfed antenna
- FLDigi running on a Netbook
- NorTent Tipi 6 shelter with wood burning stove.
- PowerFilm FM16-7200
- 10Ah LiFePO4 battery
The Portable Digital QRP group on Facebook is a group of operators who enjoy operating digital modes while portable and outdoors. They are an incredibly helpful bunch. I encourage you to join the group, if you’re a Facebook user.
Mentioned in the video
- Winter Field Day Association – www.winterfieldday.com
- Portable Digital & QRP – www.facebook.com/groups/Portable DigitalQRP/
- All Weather Solar Powered Field Station – https://youtu.be/JV7eTmGCu_Q